Monday, January 1, 2007

Welcome to Stanford Photo-a-Day!


Welcome to the Photo-a-Day blog based in and around Stanford University, CA.

Who am I? My name is Sean and I am an 8th(!) year graduate student at Stanford, married with two children, who has decided to pursue photography as a hobby.

What is Stanford Photo-a-Day (SPAD)? SPAD is something I've decided to put together as an experiment. Really it is just a blogged collection of my better pictures, many which relate to Stanford life. You'll see photos of buildings, people, and life in and around Stanford University with the goal of posting a new photo each day. Some days I might write for pages about one thing or another, some days you'll just get a photo.

Why am I doing it? Photography is my newest hobby in a line of many hobbies (which I pursue intently for a year or two until I get bored). Personally, I love seeing photos in Bloglines every morning, so I thought it would be a fun way to force myself to take, critique, and publish photos if I set this site up and attempted to post a new photo chosen from my favorites each day. It will also keep me consistently shooting pictures even after the initial thrill of our new camera has worn off.

Isn't this just going to be a bunch of pictures of your kids? Probably, if my wife hadn't made me promise to keep pictures of her and the kids off the internet. That's probably a good thing, because I'll need to work harder to find good pictures to post here (and to approach strangers to get portraits).

Are you really going to post a photo each day? Good question... I have no idea if I'll be able to keep it up. Turns out Blogger doesn't allow you to set a time to automatically publish posts, which I was really hoping for so I could queue up a bunch of days at a time and have them published each night at midnight. My goal is to post every day in 2007 -- realistically though, I might not make it that long..

Is it all going to be pictures of Stanford? No. Stanford has a lot to offer a photographer (beautiful gardens, architecture, wide range of people) but I'm not going to restrict myself to Stanford. If I go on a trip, you'll see some pics here.
Also, I generally have an eye for the strange, so I'd prefer to post pictures that the average visitor to Stanford won't see. Rest assured, all pictures will be something that I'm not ashamed to show to my parents or my kids.

No comments: