Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Bicycle Crossing


One of the stranger signs you'll only see around Stanford.

Bicycle accidents are relatively common between classes -- one of these days I'll sit at one of the major intersections with my camera and see what happens.

Personally, I've been lucky so far. One day a squirrel tried to run across Serra Mall in front of me. To his credit he was fast, but not quite fast enough and I ran over his tail. He seemed fine though (as far as I could tell, he didn't stop to talk).

The only other accident I recall was about 100 yards further on Serra Mall where there is a fountain in front of Hoover Tower. It was a rainy day, and for whatever reason I was adjusting my rear mud guard as I was going around the fountain. Apparently I didn't turn enough, because when I looked up I was heading towards a nine-inch granite curb-of-death. I didn't have time to stop, so I kind of jumped off the bike, landing on the curb on my feet but with too much momentum to stop. I "ran" across the sidewalk and did a somersault in the grass, landing back on my feet (wet and laughing). Realistically, that was just about the best possible outcome for the given situation.

No comments: