Saturday, August 25, 2007

Yet another camera problem...

[I meant to finish this post up in Korea, but I neglected to do it. So here it is. I have a follow-up to it which I'll get up in a few days.]

When I was going through some of my pictures on Tuesday, I noticed that about 10 of the images from the end of the session have vertical lines through them like you see in the 100% crop above.

The whole trip I was shooting JPEG, so it is unlikely it is a CF problem or file problem. Most likely, I believe it is a sensor problem. I expect it would be relatively easy to fix the images using PSP XI, but the bigger question is whether I'll need to get the camera fixed (thank goodness for the SquareTrade warranty). It hasn't happened again though, so it could have just been a random malfunction in the Jeju humidity.

I did a quick Google search on the issue and turned up a few good links. Consensus seems to be that this sort of problem indicates a sensor connection issue although most links weren't exactly the same problem I'm having. Apparently these types of issues are relatively common on the 20D.

Did I mention I was glad for the SquareTrade warranty? More and more, I think it is well-worth it to warranty cameras because of their inherent complexity and chances of breaking in a very expensive way. Especially used/refurbished cameras. Lenses aren't as important to warranty, in my opinion, since they are much simpler pieces of equipment and don't break as easily.

No comments: