Monday, April 28, 2008

Bibble Addendum... and RawShooter Premium

Well, Bibble's two week trial ran out this morning.

I miss it already.

I figured a few more things out about the program since my review. First, I think you can tell the program to sharpen/reduce noise in downsampled images using Batch Settings->Force Processing Size/Quality (inside the Image Settings box, see the help page). I didn't have a chance to fully test it, but I'm pretty sure it works.

Aside from that, I've been digging a bit further into image settings storage, which was an (unvoiced) concern. In particular, a big reason for using Bibble is the work queue construct -- essentially a grouping technique which lets me make and maintain groups of any sorts of images I want to sort. So if I want to easily access all my best baseball images, I can just hit the queue. Or if I want to see all images of a particular family, blam, I'm there. Also, during my many stages of editing, work queues keeps me from forgetting what I'm doing (a to-do list of sorts!).

To my knowledge, RSP has no capability similar to the work queue. My only concern is where these 'groups' get stored -- it'd be important to me to be able to transfer my image groupings and back them up. I'm still looking around to figure it out, because I'd like to be able to back up my work queue settings when I need to. BTW, Bibble's image settings are stored in files in the same folder as the originals, so those are easy to back up.

Oh, and did I mention that Bibble automatically imports RSP settings?

***************

Also, it turns out there is a trojan-free crack of RawShooter Premium out there as pointed out by a commenter on my RSP trojan post. The safe version (according to my scans) of RSP is here.

For now, I'm going to give Lightroom a try for completeness, and then I'll probably go back to Bibble. Once I get past the learning curve, Bibble seems to be a great time saver and worth the $130.

No comments: